The man I want

 

The Man I Want
(by Ruth Bell)

 

This is a poem written by a teenage girl looking for a husband.

It was written as a prayer, and this is what she said:

 

 
Dear God, I pray all unafraid
As girls are wont to be
I do not want a handsome man

But make him, Lord, like Thee.

 

I do not need one big and strong
nor yet so very tall,
Nor need he be some genius

or wealthy, Lord, at all;

 

But let his head be high, dear God,
and let his eye be clear,
His shoulders straight, whate'er his fate

whate'er his earthly sphere.

 

And let his face have character,
a ruggedness of soul,
And let his whole life show, dear God,

a singleness of goal.

 

And when he comes
as he will come
With quiet eyes aglow
I'll know, dear Lord,
That he's the man
I prayed for long ago.

 

That girl's name was Ruth Bell, and she later met and married Billy Graham.

 



Comments

Popular Posts