Grilled Cheese Croutons
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon thyme ( or try basil)
- 6 slices bread ( whole wheat is good)
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and thyme. Spread over one side of each bread slice with the butter mixture.
- Place 3 slices in the pan, buttered side down. Top with the cheese, then with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Cook, turning once, until toasted on both sides, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan. Let them cool slightly, then cut them into 1" squares. Use in soups(tomato is especially nice), on top of salads, etc. Enjoy!
- Makes about 60 croutons.